Naira Blog

IconMusings of a Naija Blogger............. More of Making Money Resources; Blogging Resources and Naija Happenings

International Women's Day - Happy Celebration to Nigerian Women

Today, 8th of March is celebrated globally as the International Women's day - Happy Women's day to all Women. According to the International Women's Day(IWD) website (a great resource for Women),


IWD is a global day celebrating the economic,
political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some
countries like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, IWD is a national holiday.
The first IWD was run in 1911. The IWD Global Centenary is in 2011 ...
more


I am not a Woman though, but it is worthy I celebrate them as I spend my days with a whole lot of them around me. First is my Mum (great mum), she is worth celebrating today for she is a virtuous woman, secondly my Sisters..... (one is about to be taken away....oosh!!), my co-workers (I am the only man in the midst of about 6 Women - pray, they don't turn me into a Woman), lastly I attend to Women (mostly married Women(did u get that)) all day at my work place, I work in an O&G Section - if you understand me.





But seriously now, the high rate of Maternal Mortality is an issue that needs to be tackled (from the health angle) if we are to really celebrate our Nigerian Women. Akin did a post on Nigeria: The embarrassment of maternal mortality (you should read that).

I remember a student of one of the Nation's University coming to my work place requesting for data on the martenal mortality rate. We discussed on some of the issues responsible for this high rate, I remembered telling her that ignorance is one of the many factors responsible for maternal mortality. There is the need for the government and other Women focused NGOs to sensitize the public the more on the importance of attending Ante-natal clinics, giving birth in a recognised hospital and all those important issues.


There are many times, Pregnant women are rushed into the Government Hospital where I work and their cases are usually pathetic. Imagine a Pregnant Woman not to have attended Ante-natal clinics for the whole nine months of Prgenancy, or some registering in "Churches" or "Iya Abiyes" - Traditional birth attedants............. and all that.

In all, I don't want to talk much on the Negatives, lets join our women in clebrating today and help those in need...

Happy Women's Day

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 1 comments:

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Good to see the comments feature is back up. How body?

1:21 PM, March 11, 2009

Post a Comment

Your comments keeps Nairablog running, please don't withhold it